If Steve Jobs were still alive, he would have turned 62 tomorrow. In honor of that momentous day, Apple announced its new headquarters would open in April, powered entirely by one of the largest on-site rooftop installations in the world.
At the center of the 175-acre campus, named Apple Park, is a ring-shaped, 2.8 million-square-foot main building that is home to a 17 MW rooftop solar array that will power 75% of the building during peak daytime hours, with the remaining 25% coming from other renewable-energy sources.
“Steve’s vision for Apple stretched far beyond his time with us,” said Tim Cook, Apple’s CEO. “He intended Apple Park to be the home of innovation for generations to come. We’ve achieved one of the most energy-efficient buildings in the world and the campus will run entirely on renewable energy.”
Eventually, 12,000 Apple employees will move into the facility, starting in April. The company said it expected the move to take around six months to complete.
Prior to the Apple Park installation, Apple ranked No. 4 on the Solar Energy Industries Association’s Solar Means Business list of corporations using the most solar energy. By the time of the 2016 report, Apple had installed 93.9 MW of solar over four installations. According the the report, Apple produced enough electricity at the time to charge 39 million iPhones fully each day for a year.
Last month, Apple signed a deal with NV Energy in Nevada to purchase 200 MW of solar-produced electricity for its Reno data center. The company is also a federally approved independent power producer, with a 50 MW solar farm in Arizona in operation and selling power to Arizona utility cooperative Salt River Power.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.