A user on Twitter has shown off one of the first Tesla Solar Roof installations that aren’t installed at a company employee’s home. The solar power system was installed San Jose, California.
The Tesla Solar Roof is every bit as beautiful as I hoped. Hoping @PGE4Me allows us to turn it on very soon. I feel like we’re living in the future! @Tesla @elonmusk pic.twitter.com/PoAm14peFB
— Toblerone (@Toblerhaus) March 24, 2018
The approximately 9.9kW took up approximately 40% of the roof surface, with the remaining 60% of the tiles being empty dummy tiles that keep the look consistent. The customer also installed a 13.5kWh PowerWall. The inverter, located top-right in image below, still carries the SolarCity branding on what looks like a Delta Solivia inverter.
Two very interesting pictures from the user’s Twitter account showed the wood substructure that the solar shingles are being attached to:
The owner said the final costs will be ‘mid-$50k’ after accounting for the 30% tax credit. The tax credit does not apply to the non-Solar Roof tiles – only the ones with an actual solar cell included.
The Solar Roof tiles installed looked like the ‘textured’ roof tile noted on the company’s website. These and the ‘smooth’ roof tiles are the only ones in production currently.
Interestingly, as @Toblerone’s Tesla Solar Roof installation started to circulate on Twitter, another Tesla Solar Roof owner – @triduchuynh – chimed in showing off their own system, and tellingly asking whether or not the local electrical utility had given permission to interconnect the system.
@toblerhaus just got my roof installed too. How long did it take PGE to turn it on for you? pic.twitter.com/oMSWfCTtlx
— tri huynh (@triduchuynh) March 29, 2018
Per a later tweet, Toblerone’s solar system was given permission to connect on May 29th, approximately eight days after the completion of the installation. The battery system was shown to be charging on March 31st.
The Tesla Gigafactory, located in Buffalo, New York, is in the process of ramping up production of the Solar Roof product. The company projects to produce 1 GW of solar products at the site annually beginning in 2019, and Tesla has said that it could reach 2 GW/year at an unspecified later date. The factory produces standard solar panels, along with the Solar Roof.
The first installations of the solar roof were reported by Electrek.co back in August of 2017.
This content is protected by copyright and may not be reused. If you want to cooperate with us and would like to reuse some of our content, please contact: email@example.com.
Solar roofs offer a great advantage for you home that is generation of electricity and reduction in your energy bills. Costs of installation are expensive but it is beneficial in longer terms due to longer life-span.
the cost of this is a crime- I have lived in houses and worked in hospitals, outside the US that are mainly solar powered: 4 panels, 8 batteries and an inverter. US citizens are being SCAMMED on the cost- simply because big business in the US and elsewhere see a threat to their infrastructure. The cost for my power from the sun, zero with an investment of US5200.- then for lines/mains power )when available- it charged my batteries and I paid at market rate : six panels ran my electrical needs while propane ran my stove and fridge (althugh mostly on electricity/ solar as dual. No heating was needed as warm weather however I ran fans for the heat. Advances in technology make it much more cost effective today….
A visual non obstructive beautiful solar roof would and should be the standard within the building industry especially track home production/construction Much needed !. ☀️ 😎
A LOT of money. Sure, it will save money in the long run, but you’ve got to have the cash, or the ability to get a big loan (or downsize your new house).
By submitting this form you agree to pv magazine using your data for the purposes of publishing your comment.
Your personal data will only be disclosed or otherwise transmitted to third parties for the purposes of spam filtering or if this is necessary for technical maintenance of the website. Any other transfer to third parties will not take place unless this is justified on the basis of applicable data protection regulations or if pv magazine is legally obliged to do so.
You may revoke this consent at any time with effect for the future, in which case your personal data will be deleted immediately. Otherwise, your data will be deleted if pv magazine has processed your request or the purpose of data storage is fulfilled.
Further information on data privacy can be found in our Data Protection Policy.